We founded Global Capital to integrate legal and strategic counsel to provide more comprehensive counsel to innovative companies, around the world, that disrupt or respond to disruption. We try to avoid the usual price & pomp of most law firms and consulting firms.
We created a small, nimble and fast professional counsel firm. On the law side we focus on corporate and commercial law. On the strategic consulting side we focus on rapidly implementing plans that have measurable results in a short period. Nothing else.
Global Capital has a core of legal and strategic consulting professionals with a larger network of specialists in jurisdictions around the world. Our teams only include lawyers and strategists with more than two decades of experience and with most of it for technology clients. Every professional speaks at least one other language, with extensive international experience.
If you want fancy offices and lawyers who look great in expensive outfits, we’re not for you. We're here to work--not to impress for the wrong reasons.
James C. Roberts III
Managing Principal (Legal)
Milan | Los Angeles
- University of Chicago
- Stanford University
- University of California, Berkeley
- Served as “Coordinating counsel” in transnational $8 million M&A transaction with scaleups
- Negotiated and drafted all relevant agreements for Google VR project
- Negotiated seed and angel term sheets and investment agreements ranging from $75,000 to $300,000 for multiple European startups
- Advised blockchain venture capital fund on investment selection
- Served as interim general counsel for artificial intelligence company, negotiating tech license agreements and investment rounds
- Negotiated sale of Italian startup to US company
- Served as interim general counsel, drafting & managing all “base” agreements for multiple startups and scaleups & managing outside counsel
- Mentored 150+ EU startups on raising capital, international expansion and commercialization
- Advised startup on Eastern European expansion and subsidiaries and negotiated related agreements
- Negotiated and drafted agreements for B2B platform scaleup with multinational music corporations
- Advised on Series A funding for mobile game development startup
- Advised US subsidiary on VC investment in non-US parent
- Monkey Selfies and London Red Buses (article)
- OOPS I lost our IP and a billion dollars (for Bocconi course)
- OOPS. You're term sheet is a contract (article)
- VC Interest in VR (video)
- Distribution Agreements Are Software Hamburgers or Subscriptions (article)
- Farmers Google Drive and New Jargon (article)
- Goodbye Professor Scalia
- License Agreements Clown Cars, Imaginary Licenses and Other Concerns (article)
- Negotiating SaaS Agreements is like Pounding Square Pegs into Round Holes (article)
- Oddball Drafting (article)
- Legal & strategic counsel for startups, scaleups and VCs on financing & transactions
- Virtual/Augmented Reality
- Artificial Intelligence
- Strategic alliances
- International expansion
- Interim general counsel
James provides legal and strategic counsel to clients who create, finance or integrate disruptive tech, including small startups to the largest MNCs. He advises these clients on mergers & acquisitions, strategic alliances, joint ventures, licensing, intellectual property and international markets in the US, Europe and Asia.
For example, James negotiated the deal for one of the first VR titles for Google; the first software licenses for the Peanuts characters and other properties such as The Flintstones; and several of the first SaaS deals.
Previously, he founded The Atlantic Advisory Group, a strategic consulting firm advising technology companies on transborder M&A and expansion. Earlier he was at SRI International (formerly Stanford Research Institute), conducting strategic analysis in Southeast Asia, the Middle East and Europe.
James is admitted to practice by the State Bar of California. He “commutes” between California and Milan, Italy.
- Italian (intermediate)
Skiing, snow-shoeing, kayaking, reading, writing, art
- Creative Media & Behavioral Health Center, University of Southern California, Steering Committee
- Mayme A. Clayton Library & Museum, Director Emeritus
- Startup Mentor, various startup/accelerator programs
- Former Chair and Vice Chair, Licensing Committee/Interest Group, State Bar of California
- Columnist “The Licensing Corner” New Matter Intellectual Property Section, State Bar of California, 2012-2016
- Lecturer, Bocconi University, Pepperdine University School of Law
Richard M. Gee
Boulder | Los Angeles
- Loyola University
- University of California, Los Angeles
- Represented call center technology platform company in all regulatory inquiries
- Advised marijuana growers and dispensaries on corporate and regulatory matters
- Advised AI startup on trademarks and trademark strategy
- Drafted various agreements for social media corporation
- Drafted settlement agreement between tech startup and telecom provider
- Artificial intelligence
- Strategic alliances
Richard, of counsel to Global Capital, specializes in business acquisitions, mergers and acquisitions, with expertise in venture and equipment financing and related documentation as well as shareholder, partnership, joint tenancy and LLC operating agreements. His expertise also includes intellectual property acquisition, disposition, licensing, clearance and registration as well as entertainment contracts. A native Spanish speaker, Richard has represented several Latin-American companies in business matters both in the United States and in Latin America. He most recently served as Business Affairs Manager for Univision Music Group, the largest Latin music label. He is admitted to practice law in California And Colorado.
Celtic music, reading, writing, art
- The Gilpin Foundation, Vice Chair
- Celtic Regional Arts Institute of California, former Chair
- Gilpin Ambulance Authority, Secretary/Treasurer